Graduated in Economics from the University of Porto and with an Executive MBA from the Porto Business School, he started his professional activity in the pharmaceutical company Roche, in the UK, as a Medical Representative. He was also Market Analyst for both oncology and haematology Business Units and he was responsible for the Roche European Business Platform and Product Manager for the area of hepatitis C.
In 2004, he returned to Portugal to join the BIAL’s team as a Marketing Deputy Director for Portugal and in 2007 he joined the Board of Directors as General Manager responsible for the International Business Development for 3 years. In this position he coordinated the business expansion and Bial’s entry into several new countries, as well as the launching of new products worldwide. He also managed the strategy of Bial’s activities in the Spanish market, today Bial’s major market.
In January 2011 he was appointed CEO of BIAL, starting the fourth generation in the leadership of the largest Portuguese pharmaceutical group, founded in 1924 by his great grandfather, Álvaro Portela.
Positions he holds:
- Curator of the Foundation of Porto’s University – Dec.2018
- Member of EFPIA’s Board (European Federation of Pharmaceutical Industries and Association) – Jun.2017
- Member of the jury of the COTEC-BPI SME Innovation Prize – Oct. 2015
- Vocal of the Administration Board of MAPFRE S.A. (General Insurances) – Jul.2015
- Vocal of the General Council of AEP (Portuguese Entrepreneurial Association) – May 2014
- Member of the Committee for the External Investment and Business of AICEP – Apr. 2013 (Portuguese Foreign Investment Agency)
Other positions held:
- Vocal of the Board of Directors of Fundação AEP (Port. Entrepreneurial Assoc. Foundation) – Nov. 2009 – Apr. 2013
- Member of the General Council of PBS (Porto Business School) Oct. 2009 . Mar. 2015
- Vice-President of ANJE (National Association of Young Entrepreneurs) Oct. 2013 – Dec.2016
- Counsellor of CES (Economic and Social Council) – Oct. 2013 – Dec.2016
- Vice-President of the General Council of CIP (Confederation of the Portuguese Industry) – Mar. 2014 – Dec.2016